Advice needed from the gurus on here regarding

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

My neighbour has a very nice set up.Paradigm Reference Studio series - Studio 100 v.5 floor standers being driven by an Anthem MRX 700.  While I am not familiar with thes particulat pieces of equipment myself, I thought Id do some online research.  It seems that Anthem is a musical and well liked option albeit not particularly powerful.  However, being paired with this highly effiient set of Paadigms means they are not underpowered.  So what is the issue?  Well that is with the source.  My neighbour had an Oppo BDP 83 that recently died on him.  Prior to that, he was extremely happy with his set up.  Now he has had to make do with an entry level Onkyo BR player.

Bearing in mind that this is a stereo guy whose music tastes are Jazz, classical, and Soul, surely the big jump in audio experience would be going with a great CD or SACD player?  There are plenty floating around for under R20k that look like great contenders.  But here is where the wiser and more knowledgeable heads are needed.

Am I brushing off the supposed lack of power in the Anthem to drive the Paradigms or are they well matched as has been claimed?  In other words, should we be concentrating on a power amp before worring about a cd player?

If the answer to the above is no, that a quality cd player will make a huge difference, for those who are more familiar with these brands, which of the following are the best match or do you have any better suggestions?

Mark Levinson No 31 Refernce CD Transport
Primare CD22
Mark Levinson 37 Transport
Classe CDP-102
Plinius 101 Cd Player

I look forward to the advice.

Alastair