Anything BUT South African

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francois

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right...are you sitting down... I need to get a hairy elephant of my chest... :nono:

Why the FFF are South African so un-proud (for a lack of impact word) about things we achieve here ?

I used to work in military industry BEFORE the catastrophe politics happened where "Proudly South African" fled the country.
What weapons did we design and build- Rooivalk, G5/G6 Rooikat. Radar systems, own missiles etc. Yeah Enriched Uranium, our own A Bomb.
The beauty of the CSIR where we produced conferences about REAL science and published over 1000 papers a year... now 20 ? 50 ?

LOCALLY PRODUCED AUDIO

You guys realize how good our local audio really is ?

50+ guys come and listen to a pre-amp shootout and a sheap DIY pre-amp runs with the BIG boys.... it didnt finish last in the votes. It was a modest R10k ? R15k ? (Geco's preamp) vs $10000-$30000 monsters. It is well thought out and once off

The VA stuff vs the best the world could offer ? Audio Research, Halcro, Parasound, Hovland, Mark Levinson.
The VA Genesis vs the Krell FPB700cx - considered the reference by at least 4 Audio journalists and the VA was better to my ears

Alan Hobkirk designed a wonderful valve monoblock - the ISIS (ok now the name is pretty controversial).... NOBODY bought them....all running after Nad, Denon and Rotel SS ?!? Eeeeh ?

For 12 months the Vivere was the BEST and most feature full DAC one could get your hands on. 12 months is an DECADE in marketing... by that time the market is yours if you go at it....

The DIY2015 showed me DIY speakers for fff sake that sounded so good!
Sonor Audio Speakers - better than almost any Monitor Audio and Kef Q

In comes Xumbug and Timber with speakers that astound... and if they go commercial will be far less than a B&W802. And far far better. But nobody is going to buy.....

I remember Phillip from Vivid Audio demonstrating all over the country to DEAF ears.... People just didnt want to buy. And a K1 then was only R55k. NOW very few people can buy their stuff....and I think they dont give a sh..t after the local treatment anyway... Call it the Kevin Pieterson Effect  :giggle:

1) Is it the possibility the builder/manufacturer can go bust ? Will this degrade your speaker ? Levinson not at ML, Agostino not at Krell ?
2) Is the equipment INFERIOR ?
3) Does the equipment lack in build quality ?
4) Are you afraid NOBODY would buy the speaker from you ? Resale value ?
5) Are you ashamed vs your Kef/B&W buddies ?
6) Are you convinced they sound inferior ?
7) Arent you proud to see an SA product breaking in internationally ?

I am having myself a set of speakers built. I pray they go into production, I really do.
After the DIY, ANY one of the guys there can manufacture.... it is that good....and much cheaper than imported stuff. And using BETTER parts too!
I investigated my Tannoys from the inside.... WTF ? R900+k for the new model ? Except for the Dual Concentric driver there is F-all great rocket-science in that speaker ? And only a little bit of Birch Ply  :Ooooooh:

There are HUGE communities in UK, Germany and Holland of boutique audio manufacturers and people CRAVE to get their hand on the equipment...

Here we chuck a valve amp in the classifieds and Gumtree for R3k.... Three fff-ing K ? The parts are 2x worth that, but nooo....its SA so it must be  :cr@p:

My hearth goes out to Gunther, Daan Jackobs etc that had to live with such Audio snobism....  :vsad: :vsad:

DIY20xx

I will do my best to get people to know what we do locally.... Man we have seriously clever people in SA
Why dont we manufacture our own CAPS ? Tamboti beeswax, fisheagle shi.t and Alu mined in pure Highveld Air ?
Produce Solid wood/partial Solid wood Plinths for Export ?

I would love your input and rants! Really I would...or am I just grumpy....  :angrywife: