Blueray players

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mars67

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I did a bit of a search on this forum but could not get an answer. My question relates to blueray players. I am currently using a Sony BDP-s470 which is sort of midrange (when one looks at the Sony products). I set it to output Bit streaming to my amp which does the audio processing.

I was wondering if a blueray player really makes such a big difference? I have looked at other players and spoken to many salesmen and there is a lot of hype and misinformation out there. I don't want to end up in a situation where I spend a lot of money and see/hear no real difference.

When one looks at tests and comparative tests online then the guys do it in perfectly controlled and set up sound labs. Then the guys themselves are often well trained with very sensitive ears and then they can hear differences etc. My equipment is not the best money can buy and my room is not ideal (and my ears are also not exactly what they should be thanks to the SANDF/Swapo and 13 months border duty) so is it really worth spending money on anything more than a Sony, Philips or Samsung Blueray?