CAN TURNTABLES COPE WITH LARGE CLASSICAL WORKS

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIVESOUND

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I have listened to classical works on top equipment for over 60 years and have not been able to enjoy large classical works without enduring distortion or loss of clarity. My own experience is that ninety percent of classical recordings contain varying levels of distortion, including on CD and similar formats. Jazz and popular works do not have this problem. The kind of distortion I am referring to is the uncomfortable loss of clarity from a large scale work on a high quality turntable when played loud on a highly resolving system without rolled off upper midrange and treble. I am not talking about inner groove mistracking, amplifier clipping or similar distortions. At low volume, the distortion is barely apparent, but becomes more and more disturbing as the volume increases.

I have not had the opportunity to test any of the super high end and very expensive turntables that have recently entered the market. Does anyone know whether these new generation turntables are capable of playing every undamaged classical recording at high volume with near perfect clarity?