Car Engine Flush Additive

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi

My Renault Laguna 2l 16V has some camshaft phasing contraption which seems to be giving up the ghost.

About a year ago, my car was at the authorised Renault service agents for a cambelt change and other maintenance when I asked them about the noisy - diesel engine-like sound which I don't like one bit.

The workshop informed me that it was nothing to worry about (b/s!) and I also discussed the matter with Renault's HO in Johannesburg.

They claimed this engine has hydraulic valve lifters and the sound is 'normal. B/S! again.

Anyway, it has no transpired the problem is the camshaft phasing device which needs replacing, involving a solenoid and some valve or other - quoting an astronomical price for repairs.

I read somewhere that there's a chance the problem could be cured or alleviated by flushing the engine and change the engine oil afterwards.

I checked with Tonnesens my usual spares place and apparently one adds the engine flush chemical to the existing old engine oil, run the engine for about 15 mins or so, drain and then replenish with regular multigrade new oil.

Has anyone got any experience with engine flushing additives or camshaft phasing mechanisms on cars?

Thanks

mafioso