Connoisseur BD1 Kit Replinth - can this sound like anything?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alternativeroute

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score

Connoisseur BD1 Kit + SME 3009 S2 by arclients, on Flickr

I picked up a Connoisseur BD1 Kit from Shonver and thought nothing of just turfing the motor unit and keeping the arm for another project (out the seemingly endless 'project bag'  :roll: ).

I removed the arm and stripped and cleaned it. Luckily the metal rust had not gotten too far and most of the crud was easily removed with a sponge and dish-washing liquid...

SME 3009 S2 by arclients, on Flickr

Whilst the arm was off being cleaned I got a little curios about the table. What an odd contraption with the undersized platter and the belt that runs around the platter. Needless to say the belt was broken, I gave the platter a cursory hand spin (turntablist version of 'tire-kicking'). I was surprised at how long it took for the platter to come to a stop.  :thinking: maybe something can be done with this...

Lots of reading later, I am going try a plinth built that won't cost me money (I have all the goodies lying around and if it all sounds like k@k I can recycle most of everything except the wood)...

Connoisseur BD1 Kit Bearing by arclients, on Flickr

So here are my drawings (sorry no fancy sketchup renderings... one-day  :blah: )...

Connoisseur BD1 Kit Replinth - Plinth Drawing Side by arclients, on Flickr

Connoisseur BD1 Kit Replinth - Plinth Drawing Top by arclients, on Flickr

Connoisseur BD1 Kit Replinth - Motor Detail by arclients, on Flickr

As you can see I am trying the 'motor island' route... Reason being that the bearing seems good to me but the motor runs like a dog (apparently they are just like that - I have disassembled it and reassembled and the motor does run a lot better)...

From the top view you can see that the Platter, the motor unit and the arm-board all reside on separate islands...

Here is a pic of the BD1 taken apart for cleaning...

Connoisseur BD1 Kit disassembled by arclients, on Flickr

I did a whole lotta cutting today so there is more to follow... With luck I can do a first assemble soon to see if the project is worth pursuing further. If it is; I then invest more time in finish ( and make pretty for lounge use)... If not I spend a few hours disassembling and packing (materials) away (for another project/another day)  :)