Cr@p new 'audiophile' pressings

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alternativeroute

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am starting to get very suspicious of new 'audiophile' pressings... Recently I purchased a 'joblot' of audiophile pressings from GITM on the forum. Out of the joblot there were about six LP's that I really wanted and I knew I could shift the rest on for the money I bought them for.

The first was not for me but my better half who is a Janis Joplin fan. She had asked me to be on the lookout for Joplin LP's as her reasoning was that they might not be as harsh as the CD version (since that is what it is like with the Nina Simone we have on LP versus the CD's we have)... Joplin is great but at times her voice can really be an icepick to forehead... Perhaps the LP version would cure this.

Well the LP that I got which proudly proclaims on the cover "Limited Edition High Quality 180 Gram Virgin Vinyl from the Analogue Master" is absolute cr@p. It sounds like what I would imagine MW stereo would of sounded like. Thin sounding with all the life sucked out... Massive disappointment!

The next is a disc I thought could be useful for me. Its the Cardas Frequency Sweep and Burn-In Record.

Cardas-Frequency-Sweep-and-Burn-In-Record-image.pjpeg

What an absolute ball of $hit! What is the point of a test record when the spindle hole has been punched off centre and the label (with the strobe lines) is stuck on skew  :eek:

So now I can test for speed stability with an android app but all the results are slightly wrong because of the off-centre pressing... That said I have still had good use out the record using comparative analysis for the best belt out of three when I recently set-up a turntable (that I sold)...

Thankfully I am getting loads of joy from the other titles I kept but I am really weary of these new pressings - especially when I read in other threads about k@k Jack Johnson pressings... R200 to R400 is a lot of money to spend on k@k inferior product. But then maybe I am also a bit of a miser...