DACs: Spoiled for Choice

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Now Playing

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I'm very happy with my preamp and active speakers, so much so that I've no desire or need to make any changes on this front and it is my view that the largest improvements I can still make to my listening experience (in order of importance) are 1) completing acoustic treatments of the listening space, and 2) seeking out a DAC that to my ear provides a step change in musical presentation.  Now, the acoustics in my room aren't fantastic, but they're far from bad, good enough in any event to enable me to critically listen to different DACs over a number of hours and pick out things I like and don't like. 

Last week and this week have been very interesting for me where DACs are concerned.  :thinking:  I've been lucky enough to be able to audition and compare the following DACs as components in my own setup:

:drool: :drool: :drool:
  • Slimdevices/ Logitech Transporter (mine, years of listening experience and therefore my baseline)
  • Emotiva XDA-1 (this was quite some time ago now)
  • Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
  • GerDAC
  • Mark Levinson No.30.6
  • Bel Canto Dual-Differential DAC3.5VB mkII

With the exception of the Bel Canto I've spent at least 5 hours listening to each of the DACs, playing songs I know very well and also listening to a some random tracks from artists I like (the Bel Canto is this weekend's pleasure).

What have I learned from this exercise so far...?
A DAC is not a DAC is not a DAC...they're all different, some more so than others.
Whilst some DACs present immediate differences in presentation (usually colouration), more often than not the differences are more subtle and it takes a fair amount of listening to begin to appreciate the differences
Piano music is an excellent way to determine whether you're likely to be able to live with a DAC, especially if the DAC might be considered to be a little on the bright side.

Preferences (first to last)
  • Mark Levinson No.30.6.  It's got a lot of presence, without being forward, good detail and very easy to listen to.  Whilst it's of an older vintage this DAC is the most musical I've experienced thus far and I'm loathe to say it, but I'd never noticed digital harshness until hearing this DAC and thinking how incredibly smooth the sound is compared with other DACs.  Digital doesn't sound harsh to me, but damnit, this DAC removes an edginess I never knew was there and does so without colouration or any loss of detail
  • GerDAC.  Hats off to Gert - this is something special and incredible value for money.  Presence, detail, separation and neutrality to make the Swiss jealous. I struggle to pick a favourite between it and my Transporter
  • Slimdevices/ Logitech Transporter.  Neutral, detailed, good presence, but perhaps less separation than the GerDAC
  • Musical Fidelity M1 DAC.  Detailed, good presence, neutral for the most part, good midrange detail, but a little harsh on the high-end.  Adds sibilance where there is none and shrill on Keith Jarret's Koln Concert - so much so I had to stop the track.  Good value for money (if you can live with the treble)
  • Emotiva XDA-1 (this was quite some time ago now). Airy at the expense of detail.  Lacks definition, not my cup of tea.

Thus far none of the DACs auditioned delivered a sufficient change in musical presentation to warrant spending large to switch DACs, however, the ML No.30.6 is a very compelling listen and the GerDAC more than stands its own in the face of competition from members of the so called doyens of high fidelity.