Did I just commit an audio sin? (i.e. soundbar..)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JP870609

So for a while now I had this issue of not having proper sound in my bedroom and watching and spending the majority of my time watching series and listening to music I thought that I had to do something about it. Yesterday I went to sounds great at Centurion mall and decided to have a look at what they have in store. The initial budget was from 7k - 9k.

My requirement was the following, something that I can easily setup i.e. not a bunch of speaker cables etc. and also audio streaming such as Spotify over wifi or at minimum Bluetooth is a must. This made me decide to have a look at different brands of sound bars. Quite impressed with the large variety available, had a listen to probably six or seven different brands (JBL, HK, Philips, Heos, Polk, Klipsch..). I eventually had my mind set on the Polk Audio Magnifi Mini (6.5k). It is a rather small sound bar if you could call it a sound bar, but the sound compared very well with a Harman/Kardon (8.5k).

At the point of committing to the Polk Magnifi mini, I, of course, was curious as to what the opposite of the 'Mini' was that and if they have something available in the store. Sadly for my budget, yes they did have the bigger device available as well, the Polk Audio Magnifi Max SR 5.1. Retail price (according to the Sales Person, 13.90k), but they said that they are willing to come down with the price to 11.5k. There were a couple of things of the 'Max' that caught my attention, features such as Chromecast built in, bigger subwoofer, wireless surround speakers, 4k display, three HDMI inputs and much slimmer sound bar sort of sealed the deal for me. A cry for help from my budget, I managed to get the salesperson to drop the price another R1000, now sitting at 10.5k, still a lot more than what I felt comfortable spending or at least spend without going back home and doing proper research.

I welcome to my bedroom the Polk audio Magnifi Max SR.  :groovy:

qqsgbb.png

vzu8gk.jpg

mhc111.jpg