DIY Speaker stands - need some advice

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu_Mack

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I am busy with building my own speaker stands, they are being made out of 25mmx2mm square tubing, so they are not light at all.

The design is quite simple, two squares form the top and bottom with some feet attached to them with some threaded solid bushes on the end, for adjustable feet on the bottom and for screwing down the speaker plate on the top. They will be joined with 4x500mm pieces of the same square tube.

Here is a pic of the finished top piece (with some weld cleaning needed) as well as one of the squares without any feet welded to it. The bases will be a little bigger to give the stand a bigger foot print.

D30E0489-2023-4134-8C7A-60A4CC02DA2E_zpsa99w8uvp.jpg

My issue is, what do I make the plate that the speaker is going to sit on, out of? I was thinking a nice piece of wood, but will a piece of flat steel work as well? Which would be better? The speaker plate will be bolted down with 4x10mm counter sunk screws, so there is no risk of it moving