Help with faulty HDMI port on PS3

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ushir

Reaction score
Hi,

So to cut a long story short, my satelitte dish was struck by lightening sending the surge through my tv and into my ps3 and effectively knocking out the HDMI port. The PS3 still works via componenet, but the HDMI port does not work. Insurance has given me a new PS3 but I would like to repair the old one.

When I connect the PS3 via HDMI and Component and reset it - the ps3 detects the HDMI cable and asks me if I want to switch to HDMI (this is of course when displaying via Component). When clicking YES, the ps3 just displays a blank screen. The new PS3 works fine on the same tv.

I have tested the HDMI port with a Multimeter and all ports read 0V except Pins 4&5 OR Pins 15&16 (I couldnt tell if the Pin diagram was showing me an HDMI cable or an HDMI port - found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi )

Could someone here help me diagnose the problem? I am willing to resolder a new HDMI port into the device - but before I do that I want to ascertain that it is the HDMI port itself that is faulty or something worse such as the processor or such.

Any help will be appreciated.