In ceiling speakers.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenoizeguy

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Many moons ago when I built my house, I decided to get speaker boxes mounted in the ceiling slab of my patio. The day before the pour, I placed them in the correct position, linked them with 20mm conduits and ran the main conduit across the house and down to where the entertainment room would be.

Everything was done properly, and the speakers mounted perfectly flush in the recesses and looked great.
it all went pear shaped when I tried to run the wiring and found that there was a break in the main conduit that was now sealed in the roof slab forever.
Anyway, I just left it for another day.

That "another day " was last week where I now had to drill through the slab and run cabling through conduits for 20 meters to the only access point that I had left which was the DSTV cabling.

To cut a long story short, I had to use a combination of different cables soldered together to get the job done. There is a 4 metre run of very thin and stiff " studio installation cable" as it was the only cable that I could get through from the roof to the wall box in the tiny space that I had left in the conduit.

After the whole lot was connected, I measured the cable for shorts and breaks before connecting to the amp and got a reading of 11.9 ohms on each channel.

I connected it up to an amp ( Rotel 820BX3 ), kept the volume low and played some music through it for a few hours with no ill affects.

The 11.9 impedance is obviously due to the cabling ( speakers measured 7.6 and 7.7 ) but the amp runs very cool even when turned up a bit.

My concern is that there is a serious lack of bass which is disappointing due to me going to great lengths of having proper boxes for them built into the slab.

I'm sure surface mount boxes with the same dimensions and drivers, would make a huge difference to the bass, but it's not my solution and would look ugly and obviously the :angrywife: factor.

I'm not looking for accuracy here at all, but rather a pleasant balanced sound at lower levels for background music.

My options are. 1. Port the boxes ( I don't mind modding the baffles ) but will have to experiment not to get boomy bass.

2. Change the amp for one with tone controls and a loudness button and tweak a bit.

3. Any suggestions ?....The speakers are Boston 6 inch woofer and tweeter ( no idea of the model number )

Does the high impedance on the speakers affect the frequency response at all and affecting the bass , or only power output of the amp ?

Thanks.
Tony