Internet Explorer dying?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oNyX

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Before I say anything (and I just did) I have no intention to start another browser war because of what I'm about to post. But if your curiosity can't hold up, I'm a Opera user. I was a Firefox user (until the rapid-deployment) and I was busy wasting time with IE (before I used Firefox) when I was supposed to be on Netscape.

IE as a whole, meaning every version of the venerable browser, isn't doing so well. Computerworld is predicting that it might fall below 50% by March, a major blow to the browser that once ruled the Internet. All versions of IE combined lost eight-tenths of a percentage point during December, ending what has been a miserable year for it with 51.9% of the browser market.

http://www.neowin.net/news/ie-usage-drops-to-record-low-could-fall-below-50-by-march

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9223087/Chrome_nears_20_share_IE_resumes_slide

I can tell you why IE is dropping, it's not because other browser are better (maybe it is, and maybe because of less security problems & bugs) but I do think the major reason is because of how Microsoft have been behaving since Vista. Since Vista, every OS they have ever launched they forced consumers like us to buy (or pirate) a whole new Windows just be able to install the latest IE. I as a Windows user is getting tired of this, same with the DirectX dog leash. This causes more and more people to seek other options, and that options are Firefox, Chrome or Opera.

I remember in the old days, I always wondered what Netscape was but I never cared to know. Until recently I've heard that IE was the cause of Netscape's death. Now that IE is dropping at a never ending rate, I can't help to bask in the silence of a twisted pleasure that Microsoft is finally getting a taste of their own medicine.