Let's build a HDD-based music system for R18k

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAPPA3

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
If one were to ditch CDs and a CDP and build an alternative system for about R18k, what would be needed?  I know little, so that's why I'm posing this thread.  I'm already getting very pleasing sound with music downloaded and converted to wav.  Please describe the components needed, plus the role they would play in the system.  Then offer some suggestions for components in this budget bracket - R18k, assuming we already have speakers, a sub, an amp and cables.  Let me start in a very 'rudimentary' way (that's 'basic' for those who feel this is a reference to a forum member".

Aiming at mainly music here.  Please the computor boffins, don't confuse us!  At least explain any suggestions you make.  I don't understand how music servers really work and what influence they have on music quality.

• I use Aimersoft DRM Media Converter to convert all music files to WAV files because I'm playing music off a HDD through a PS3, with good results.  the program costs about R280 and works for me.  It will only remove the restrictrions off music that you legally own.
    Will need a good HDD on which to store the music.  Even 2TB external HDDs are going for about R1000-R1500.