LG & Netflix 4K issues

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hey folks, I am on the verge of returning my second 4K "smart tv" in 6 weeks and was wondering if it's just me or if there are other guys around here having similar issues.

My first one was a Hisense 49" set bought from hypermarket. Loved the TV, loved the picture (wife hated it) but then about 2 weeks into ownership the Plex app just disappeared from the TV. Poof. Here today, gone tomorrow. I took it back and drove from the Hyper straight to Hirsch's and paid a little bit extra for an LG 49UH603. Wife loved it, I thought it was meh, but have gradually been warming up to it. It does really well with HD content but the upscaling is not so hot compared to my 6 year old 40" Sony Bravia. I was happy to live with it because the interface with the remote pointy thing is so easy to use.

Then about 3 weekends ago I signed up for the Netflix 1 month trial and that's when I started to have some serious issues with this LG set. It will play sometimes and then it won't play. Then it will start playing but freeze up and throw a weird error that not even Netflix themselves are able to decipher. I have exhausted every possible troubleshooting option. I have tried alternative network connections, including ethernet and wifi, alternative ISP accounts between Afrihost and Telkom (I am 10Mbps, so not a speed problem), every possible Netflix setting, but still I have this issue. I have even had the LG technicians out here and they are also non-the-wiser. We have reset and re-installed the firmware, the app, everything.

The weirdest thing is I can play Netflix on every other device I have without any issue, including PS4, XBOX, Apple TV2, iPhones, you name it. Not a single blip. This leads me to think that there must be some kind of corruption in the TV itself. Before I take it back and go through the same digital trauma again, I would like to know if anybody else has experienced a similar thing with LG smart TVs?