Making My Rega Planar 3 Like New Again

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Vinyl Junkies

I have a Rega Planar 3 that I bought in 1991 and would like to make like new again.  I need to know what I can do to the arm as far as servicing goes.  I am handy enough if it is not complicated.  I would also like NOT to send it to someone if possible.  2 years back I send it to the shop to align my new Ortofon 2M Blue and the lid came back with a soldering iron mark on the side.  Currently the mechanism that allows the arm to be lowered slowly is sticky, and I suspect the other bearings might need some lube.

And motor wise. What is possible.  I am waiting for my Aikido + Tetra boards to hit my Post Office anytime this week so it would be nice if the TT is in good nick when my Phono + Pre-Amps are done.  I currently have my KSA50 clone doing the amplifier work.

Also, just as an aside; I have an A&R P77 which was manhandled by my boy way back which caused me to buy the Ortofon.  Stylus is bent but the body is in perfect nick.  Just in case somebody cares and have a stylus for it.