Micro and media server advice needed

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batman

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I have a problem I'm trying to solve and which I have been Googling for quiet some time.

I have:
1.Notebook with 64 bit Windows
2.Netbook with 32 bit Windows
3. Samsung androids one with gingerbread and other jellybean.

I'm looking for a very low powered NAS microserver. A lot of files are currently being duplicated between the abovementioned devices. I've also got external harddrives which I want to network instead of plugging them in each and everytime I want to get info off them. I've read that Raspberry Pi's can be run as such with extremely low power footprints in the region of around 5-10 watts. The other option is a HP Proliant with a power footprint of around 40-50 watts and much more powerful than the pi but also a lot larger. I want to run the server headless. Is a Raspberry a suitable solution for this?

Secondly I would like to stream media wirelessly from the NAS to other devices such as my ht for music and videos. I've also got a tubedac-11 which I want to use with my valve amp but raspberry doesn't do well with usb dac. I'd have buy something like a Hiface 2 which is expensive. What options do I have here?

I don't have adsl and full hd is not important but must be able to send my audio files such as Wav without a problem. I'm hoping to get this done cheap and with as low power as possible.