My Mirage Nanosat Experience

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denon

Reaction score
Mirage's NANOSAT:
http://miragespeakers.com/nano.shtml

After narrowing down what type of sound my wife and I were looking for, we limited the scope of our final comparison to Mirage's OMNIPOLAR line of speakers. Traditional oriented speakers just didn't have the natural spatial attributes that we were seeking, so we listened to the Mirage Nanosats and were very surprised how well these speakers sounded and performed at low / loud levels. We also compared them to Mirage's more expensive v2 FS flagship floor standing model and concluded that we thought the Nanosats sounded better with our preference in music -- mainly Ambient Electronica. The Nanosats had less mid range presence, which complemented this style of music, and we didn?t think there was any major sound quality difference between the v2 FS and the Nanosats.

So we purchased the Nanosats for a fantastic price and hooked them up with some Ultralink Challenger Series 14 gauge speaker wire. We have spent the last 48 hours in music / movie bliss.

The speakers sound smooth, polished, crisp, natural and spatial to us. It was a little tricky setting the volume on both subwoofers to blend with the Nanosats but thanks to Amon Tobin's work, it didn't take long. I also noticed the Auto Setup on my Denon AVR-2105 was pretty much spot on, gauging by ear, in the first setup sequence, but since then it always wants to vary all 5 speakers from +1 to +5, when originally the range varied from -2.0 db to +1.0 db. Now that I have the Nanosats balanced, I find it a bit strange that the auto setup on my receiver was giving different results with these speakers from its first auto setting. We have heard new subtle sounds from our music that we never heard before and the sound stage of these Nanostas is just amazing. I wouldn't use the Nanosats without a 10" subwoofer though, as the Nano sub's volume on sub 45 (+/-) frequencies drops. The 10" sub is set for 50 and below which fills that range in very nicely.

We notice that Rock and similar genre music sounds best in 2 channel stereo, though classical, Jazz and Electronica sound best in PLII Music (5.1).

By no means am I any kind of expert with audio equipment, though I do have a good sense of what sounds good and what doesn't. The Mirage Nanosats perform extremely well for their price point and they possess a truly unique sound that is very easy and flexible to setup.