Sample Rate and Bit depth of DTS HD MA Blu rays

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidvdw

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
So in passing while listening to a Blu Ray concert I noticed that the AVR was reporting that is was receiving a DTS HD MA signal via HDMI from the Oppo 93 and that this signal was at a sample rate of 48Khz. I know that DTS HD MA is capable of up to 192khz and 24 bit depth.

I thought it odd and tried a couple more discs, all classical music concerts and all reported the same 48khz sample rate. I tried a flac file via HDMI and that was accurately reported as being 96khz.

I find no information on the disc's cover - all say DTS HD MA.

Is this standard? Does anyone have or know of a disc that they are sure is encoded at 96 or 192 khz.

If the codec is capable of such high resolutions why not use it? Are they using it and for some obscure reason my oppo is downsampling?

Would like to test.

Let's skip the "If it sounds right forget about it" routines - the sound is great - I'm just interested to know if anyone has a movie or concert that they are certain is encoded at higher that 48khz.