Sennheiser HD-202, An extremely extended review...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshDeet

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow forum members,

So i thought i would post a short review of my experiences with the HD-202 from Sennheiser... i have had my pair for a little over 5 years now, (these things have been available for about 8 years, and are still available) and i have not been kind on them... so let me tell you a bit about my experiences! :groovy:

5 years back i was on the search for a pair of headphones i could use for general listening, and a friend had just bought a pair of these, i liked the way they felt, (i didn't really consider SQ at the time) so i bought a pair. I bought at the wrong time apparently as i paid R1099 for them...  :whistler:

My first pair died after 3 days... loose wire in one of the cups, but the dealer (Love-more music center) replaced them free of charge :2thumbs: that is the pair i still have and use today  :groovy:

I haven't been particularly kind to them, these things just wont die!!!  :EGrin:  the only repairs ive had to do is replace the jack (last year) and after 3 years (while in europe) the cable got torn out of the grommet at the cup, so I've had to open them and re-solder. easy. 5/5

They take a while to burn in, i would estimate 100-150 hours before they settle, but onve they do, the sound is smooth, detailed and clean, with impressive bass response and crisp treble. 4/5

The cable is nice and long, 3 meters! and you get a cable roller so no issues there. this cable is also ridiculously strong. you will not break it accidentally (except involving sharp objects...) i have walked away with them on a few times, with them plugged into sound desks, amps, PCs, and my laptop, the equipment will follow you, and the cable couldn't care. 5/5

They are comfortable, even for long periods. have worn them for 10 hours on planes, 6-7 hours in the car, while walking, no complaints here. youll probably forget they are even there after 15 mins or so 5/5

Drivers are well built... i have accidentally driven them way past clipping many times, for extended periods (not with them on) and the sound hasn't changed in many years of use. 5/5

They are physically strong. I can bend the head band flat, and no cracks or whitening of the plastic, and no loss of tension either. 4/5 (loose a point as the vinyl on the headband has started to come off... but then again i have used these almost every single day for 5 years so i guess thats to be expected)

Sound isolation is great! with average listening volume, you won't hear someone talking loudly even if they stand right next to you! turn up the volume to comfortably loud and you pretty much wont hear anything, except maybe explosions... 5/5

Overall, if you need a pair of general duty headphones that will serve you, then buy a pair i promise you wont be disappointed. If you need something with great sound quality, but don't have a fortune to spend, buy a pair. you won't be disappointed. 4/5

I will be buying another pair of these soon! they kick most headphones up to double the price, and I've compared them to some 4 times the price, and still prefer these! i'm looking at some more expensive Sennheisers as well for my listening sessions, but i will demo them before i buy, cause they'll have to beat these first!

Have a good 'un!  :dop:
Joshua Deetlefs