Should i bin these amps?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I hope I can get some guidance here regarding two integrated amps.

Cambridge Audio 640A goes into protection.  I disconnected all cables and still does the same thing.  ive had a technician look at it and he tells me 'it needs a new pic'.  apparently this is a chip that needs a hexfile software downloaded.  I called the agents and they cant guarantee if they can repair either but they suggest I send it to them in JHB (Im in DBN). R200 courier to jhb and another R200 to get it back, R550 for agents to see IF they can repair.  that's close to a grand for someone to say yes we can fix or not.  should I send to them and hope or dump the amp in the bin? anybody else had this issue?

Marantz PM7004, all the display lights come on when powered up.  for this one ive been told It needs a micro-controller.  HFX no longer has the part.  nothing on ebay either.  I would really like to salvage this one, im hoping that I can at least run into another 700x integrated and hopefully the micro controller still works fine.
anybody else had similar issue, what did you do?  can the micro-controller be repaired? by who? or should I dump in the bin also?

please advise

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts