Small engines in bigger cars

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumb and Dumber

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
WHY do they do it :roll:
Over this weekend Renault advertised their new Triber on the TV. I told my son the monthly installment on this brand new 7-seater is R 1 300.00 pm less than my 2012 Kuga's monthly installment. So I seriously considered to perhaps buy one. I then downloaded its brochure and was thinking why not as I paged along. Then I came to the engine. 3-cylinder 1000 cc naturally aspirated. WHY :vsad:
Its a 7-seater so huge families or people with lots of friends who string along on holidays are perhaps the target market. How do they think a 1000 cc car with 7 adults and luggage and perhaps a roof rack full of luggage or even a hitched trailer will fare on our highways?

Just a question. Is Renault's own 1.6 engine that still does duty in the latest Megane not a better option? Yes I know costs, the Triber is a budget vehicle. But does the new 3-cylinder more modern engine not cost Renault about the same as their already proven older 1.6 engine?
Fuel consumption might be the reason, but in my opinion, this Triber might have used less fuel on mountain passes etc with the 1.6 as opposed to the 1.0 engine. 
If the Triber had a 1.6 I would have bought it. But with the 1.0, never. Even in the smaller lighter Kwid it struggles...