Streaming & discovery

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpletonion

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Having been a subscriber of Tidal and Spotify, I’ve always maintained that Tidal has the ‘better’ recommender system. It took me a while to understand why most disagree with this. It comes down to this: most people I talk to have a higher preference for ‘sameness’ than I do. Because (and it seems their experience matches mine) the Tidal recommender is a little more stochastic and a little less parrot, giving recommendations on Tidal a higher novel(unknown)/same(known) ratio, some seem to rate its recommender more highly.

So, it was with interest that I read this piece on how streaming is ruining discovery by removing the human element. I do get the social aspect to music appreciation but, for me, streaming is the best thing that has happened in my life as a music listener.

Anyway, the article mentions a few products built with the aim of solving the bubble problem. So I’m wondering if anyone on here has used any of these products and would like to share their experience of it. I expect to be overwhelmed by meh, but I’ll be giving a couple of them a try in the near future.