This is me

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nico V

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Fellow Audio Hobbyists!

My name is Nico, born in Pta some 46 years ago and still here - wishing though I can realize a dream and move down to Kleinmond in the Western Cape!

I've been an audiophile junkie ever since I can remember. For my standard 7 science project I submitted a document titled: "The Hi Fi System". First set I ever owned was a Kenwood KA 52 integrated and LSK300 Kenwood speakers, all fed from a DIN plug at the back of a Blaupunkt music centre. Yep, that Blaupunkt still works today...

Worked my way "up" the audio world through the years and evolved to 2xRotel power amps, NAD CD player, Pioneer multi zone DVD player, Yamaha DSP A590, and TDL RTL3 speakers and TDL surrounds. I was extremely happy with the set for precisely 3 days - then I had my first of 8 burglaries, all in a period of 6 months. Because the founder/owner in the UK of TDL speakers passed away from an unexpected heart attack, I replaced the gear with Yamaha RXV1300 receiver and 2700 DVD/SACD player, with KEF Q7 & Q11 floor standers and surrounds.
Of course Rotel was still part of the mix, with an RMB1075 (which I use today still) and an RB1080 (which Wolla bought from me around 2008).

Then I decided to go back to stereo in a sound room and keep the surround sound in the TV room. So, in the TV room I now have an Onkyo 1009 receiver, feeding a Bose Accoustimass surround system and two Jamo Concert 8's in Zone 2 on the "stoep". The Onkyo is fed by a Yamaha DVD player and Samsung 3D Blu Ray player - feeding a Samsung 55UH8500 smart TV.

The hifi room's got a Marantz SA 8003 SACD player, Rotel RC1090 & RMB 1075, bi-wired for 2x Jamo D590's. I also have 2x REL Q150 subs but haven't used them since I bought the D590's. Those who know the D590's would know why I don't use the subs. (They did compliment the screaming KEF's quite well). No kids, friends, pets, smoke or dust is allowed in the hifi room - just me. Only me. Yes, me!

Just bought a turntable from TurntableGuy as my old Technics SL-BD20 was, well, past its use-by date.

Then my two prize items: A Thomas Edison phonogram (not gramophone) date stamped by old Thomas himself in 1905 with close to 100 vinyl cylinders, and a His Masters gramophone used in WWII, dated 1938.

You'd have noticed by now I'm an audio slave. Acoustic music sounding "poppish" is my thing, although I listen to almost anything.

For my dream-, all time best hifi I'd have to travel back in time to 1988 to buy 2x Nakamichi power amps feeding Infinity IRS Gama speakers. The only hifi to ever have me in tears... I have heard NOTHING close to it prior to, or since then...!!!

I'm on AVForums and AVSA at least twice a day and looking forward to fun interaction with members. Having difficulty posting pics of all my kit, but will try again over the weekend.

Ciao!
Nico