Which media box

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan46

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I would like some opinions on which media box to get for my living room.
Basically i want a device which can handle all my video requirements. This would be Netflix, Youtube, DSTV now and plex client. I have a PC which will act as a plex server for all my content which is not streamed directly.
Important factors are ease of use as my wife should not be scared of operating the device and stability/smoothbess of video  playback. At the moment i'm on a 10mbps unshaped line.
Also the device would be connected to a denon x2200 avr with 5.1 sound. So i would like to make use of the sound for movies and series as much as possible.

I've narrowed down my options to the following:
1. nvidia shield
2. Minix u9h
3. Xbox/ps4 (second hand)

1. Nvidia shield
I really like this device, however its the most expensive on my list. Ive noticed a few forum members have the shield and any comments would be appreciated. I like the idea that one can run some decent games on it as well seeing that i dobt have a console or gaming pc this would add some livingroom entertainment. But ive read some reviews that we in sa might struggle with latency to the internation servers. So have viable is the gaming aspect.

2. Minix u9h
Seems pretty decently specced and would keep up with 4k contemt. This would probably be the cheapest of the lot.

3. Xbox/ps4
Ive added these consoles here because of the nvidia shield. Ive realised that i can get these second hand in the same price bracket. However i have no idea how the media center aspect of these consoles would be. Example loading of apps, switching between apps and navigating content etc. is there a air mouse type device to use for navigation? Of course gaming would be great on these as this is what they are intended for.