Why are Media Players so junk? Just get XMBC and save your sanity...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylark

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got the Mede8er MED500X2 becuase I didn't want my entertainment connected with computers.

What a nightmare.... and this is recognized as one of the best options on the market (AC Ryan and one or 2 others also good but also full of problems).

The interface looks good and works quite well if you just read some files off a USB device , using the library is not recommended for the impatient.

If you are lucky enough to have a network and Harddrive that mates well with the Mede8er you may have an alright time , even then you'll be pulling your hair out just inputting your 40 character long WPA-2 password into the unit.

:stop: You'll need to pretty extensively read the forum just to find out how to do that.

You want to fit a currently avail Sata hard drive , something like 2TB or 3TB?
No you cant , I'm sorry sir , really sorry but you just can't.
You need a sata drive that doesn't use 4K block size , oh wait every new harddrive uses 4K block size.
So now you'll be hunting for an "old" non-4K harddrive.

And then you'll be hunting for specs and praying the drive you forking over R1400 for is the one with the a23z at the end of the 12 digit number thing on the front of the sticker on the bottom of the box which the lazy salesman helping you really can't be damned to confirm. They all the same he says , don't worry.
No luck for me today. Brand new 2TB drive that's just never going to work properly , in a Mede8er that is.

So glad the Mede8er chaps decided to use USB 3.0 with smoking fast 90mb's transfer speeds!!!
YAY YAY I can transfer huge files at blazing fast speed....even specially bought a USB 3.0 card for my laptop at quite some cost.

Oh wait it starts copying over at 90mps and drops down after 3min to 2mbs per second WTF!!!!
I try transferring an 800mb file over N-Wifi (300mps) - 267kbps transfer speed.

And these are all know issues.....  :ticked: :RTFM: 

I could solve them (and I have tried intermittently over the last 4 weeks) , there are hugely complex and convoluted solutions if you delve deeply into the forums with lots of arcane dos-mode prompts and netbios , static ip assigning  , address range , get old hardrive non-4k from somewhere etc etc  :moron:

Ok fok this bullsh1t3 , I'm getting a HTPC
XMBC you beauty , Windows today I think I love you  :point:

Do not get a media player
Get a small form-factor computer tower and install XMBC
(or big tower if you have the space)

Works fast , easy , flawless , full internet integration , beautiful interface
I just told it where my movie files were and in 10mins I was browsing through movie's with original filmposter artwork.....  :BWAHAHAH: I did nothing , no fighting , cursing , reading , studying , typing , searching

XMBC works instantly on any OS
Looks awesome
Internet + streaming integrated like never before , ease of access to online content - live streaming sport etc
Plays anything and everything always - you don't have to wait 5 months for firmware upgrades
You may just need uncapped ADSL to cope with all the content you now have access to
And a US/UK proxy would get you the full bouquet of BBC content and US Tv shows on demand
:)

http://xbmc.org/about/

Nice remote for XBMC:
http://www.rebeltech.co.za/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=2636

Problem solved , thank's XMBC and you awesome chaps on this forum!
:clap: