Why won't a motor workshop use the oil requested?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
When I ran a shop, we had a mechanic who serviced all the shop vehicles and my cars.  Upon recommendation of this (old school) mechanic, we always used a synthetic motor oil, since its lubrication properties in town driving are superior to natural oil.  Of the 35 some cars and vans we had over 18 years, not one gave any problems related to engine lubrication, upper cylinder wear and some of the guys driving were not delicate drivers, often foot flat from cold.  Its someone else's car hey, why should I bother?  You could tell by the tyre wear how they drove

I bought my wife a Honda Civic which comes with a motor plan.  On the occasions when it has to go for an oil change and service, I ask the reception person to use synthetic oil and say I will pay the difference, or whatever they want

No, no, this cannot be done.  a) It is not Honda policy, or b) we do not stock this oil here, or c) the mechanic would probably get it wrong anyway, or d) it makes it difficult for the accounts dept, or e) it makes no difference, you are mistaken.  I then say I will have to take it to a garage who will do what I ask.  This argument worked once, I hope that they in fact did use the oil I requested, since I paid R250 extra.  All the other times I am told, take what we offer or leave it

I get the impression that customers are regarded as dunces, not knowing what they want.  Certainly, sitting there listening to some of the special requests being made (the window does not close quickly enough) they are right sometimes, but not all of us are idiots when it comes to car mechanical affairs.  There is also too much reliance on computer driven car diagnostics and I have seen mechanics looking at the print out, not understanding what is states or what the next step should be

Complaint over, go and listen to some soothing music