no more dstv

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron g

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
on thursday at the office, a colleague told me about the new dstv explorer deal.

which made me annoyed because of the dstv habit of screwing over early adopters...
which made me think about how much i am paying each month
which made me think about how little i was getting, & how bad the content is.

so i gave dstv a call & cancelled my 20+ year mnet / dstv account...

i did try the unotelly / netflix thing a while back, but it never really stuck because i went with a wdtv live which i found to be slow, buggy & it couldn't cope very well with media files.

so i paid extra, & bought a roku, which was delivered to my door on saturday by mr delivery.

it took me w a while, but i got it up & running & connected to netflix last night.

for those who may be interested the process is:

- open a unotelly account
- set up your router with the unotelly ip addresses
- set up a security policy on your router so that the roku can't respond when netflix interrogates it
- set up a roku account, using a usa address (use a random address generator to ensure that you have a valid address & zip code), your actual c/card details & a phony telephone number
- connect the roku & link it to your roku account
- set up paid content provider accounts (i went for netflix, hulu, & a free trial of showtime)
- set up free content providers (pandora ftw )

i guess i'll have to find a sports channel sometime. so i can watch moto gp & formula 1, but i currently have way, way more content, on demand, than dstv could ever dream of, and way cheaper

- unotelly @ 4,30 a month
- hulu at 7.99 a month
  - netflix at 9.99 a month

i don't think i will be keeping showtime. i just don't see the value compared to the other 2.

so in total around 330 a month - i already had an uncapped internet.

the only painful part is that it will get more expensive each month as the zar dies...

Latest posts