OK So I am the guy ..

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faizel

Reaction score
that actually bought the R5000 Sony system.

Hi all

I have been reading the forums for a while and I guess introductions are in order. My name is Faizel, I live in DBN and my sound system at home is the Sony system. It has an 6.1 channel amplifier (85W X 6), 2 floorstanding speakers yada yada yada, and a 10 inch sub.

I was on a tight budget and needed a setup of some sorts. It offered the best bang for buck at the time, had sufficient inputs for the playstation DVD, TV and video machine. It does OK with movies (I don't watch too many movies) and music, and sounded better than the Pioneer and Denon/AR systems I listened to (at Govan Mani Gateway). Granted, the guy demo-ing them didn't know too much

Now comes the problem, I want to upgrade to improve the quality of the music but not sure what to do. I have a few options and was hoping to get some advice.

1. Upgrade speakers - Will changing the speakers actually help ?What do I do with my old speakers? Use them as speaker B? Living room may be a cluttered
2. Upgrade home theatre amplifier - What do I do with my old amplifier ? Will the speakers handle a newer amplifier
3. Build a dedicated stereo system (I am leaning towards this option and may get a Technics Amplifier, (SU-V4X) 65W per channel, at a very reasonable price - no remote control on this unit though ). What speakers do I match them with and the living room still looks cluttered, wife is upset with me , but turning up the volume normally helps with that.

What to do ?

My budget is R 4000, I could squeeze it to R6000 (but it would really have to be worth it) and I would be looking to buy second hand.

Any help would be appreciated

Latest posts