REW analysis in mid size dedicated AV room

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMG

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

Had a few minor issues with my room and was getting Minidsp DDRC 88A units. Before ordering I purchased the Minidsp Umik and got into REW measurements. Surprise, the results looks crazy! At this stage I need to find some solutions and hope that some experienced members can make sense of these results. Here is the layout of my Room (Hope it works):

HT%20Layout_zpsh3gygetn.png

I have large front main speakers and a centre. The mains have 2x10" drivers each and the Center has 2x 8". The Sonor Procyon is capable of 30hz and the centre 45hz but I did not hear bass so I added powerful subs. The fronts are x over at 80hz and all the surround and Atmos at 100hz. The subs are JL F212 and JL113. I moved these midway against the side walls as far as I could. This resulted in better bass over the front seats. This was done because I adjusted by ear at the MLP until I liked what I heard and then move 1 seat to the left and right which was way too hot in LOW freq. It sounded better after I moving  the subs. I also moved the front seats about 30cm forward after running a modal simulation. This did yield results but the REW shows something different... Wonder what is was like before I moved the subs...

If you look at the attached REW measurements it seems that the room resonates? at 20-23 hz then drops 40db at 30 hz and so on, mainly at the MLP (My seat/sweet spot- dark green and red lines). The level set spl was 90 db. Then a drop out at 2khz with a rollercoaster ride in the high freq only at MLP. I included my left seat also which does not reflect these big swings.

Forum%20pic%202_zps0z89gtpg.jpg

I am also worried about the high freq drop down at MLP for my mains. The waterfall graph in high freq reflects a reasonable result but rings badly according to the graph. 

I always presumed that my room was treated well but these results do not make sense to me.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Latest posts