[Advice] Bookshelf speakers Boston vs. Mission vs. Denon (Mission)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beldrac

Reaction score
Good day everyone, this is my first post on the forum, but I've been reading through the posts and have found some useful info so far.

I recently had to upgrade my system; my Kenwood VFR5090D (if I remember the code correctly) started giving issues after ten years of loyal service. I've been running four JBL Control One bookshelf speakers with the system, when I set up I couldn't afford much better and it served me well. I replaced the Kenwood with a Yamaha RX-V677 and I've had it for about a week now, wow what a neat piece of kit! I noticed on Saturday my right front speaker had developed a crackle when deep base was being played (over exuberance listening to an Anathema BluRay I think) and I moved it to a back channel hoping that the lower volume throughput will minimize it. Well, I found I just can't live with it and finally cracked last night listening to Dvoř?k's New World Symphony.

My plan is to replace two of the four JBLs now and save up for a decent 5.1 or 7.1 setup in the near future, so I really don't want to spend too much and since this is a temporary measure, I'm considering getting a couple of used bookshelf speakers.

I can get the following three at about the same price:
Boston HS60
Mission E50
Denon USC-M50 (made by Mission, I believe)

My fourth option is to get a new pair of Control Ones.

I would really appreciate your expert (and non-expert) advice on which set is best, considering that I mainly listen to Metal and Classical music and don't necessarily need bass-heavy speakers, I'm after clarity and quality. The setup is also used for TV, movies and gaming, but that's secondary to my music needs.  :groovy:

Sorry for the long post.  :whistler:

And thanks!