DAC Advise

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undefined.za

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Regarding the existing topic:

simphiwes said:
can i and other dac newbies get guide on dacs to look at and what to look out for, a check list if you will to help stear use to audio nirvana as far as dacs are concernd.

I am also very interested in DACS and I do not believe that the vast number of highly experienced and knowledgeable (in whatever field of music reproduction, be it analogue or digital) are unable to provide at least a small list of DACS that are available in South Africa along with their personal recommendations.

I ask that this thread is not turned into a Analogue vs Digital battle and that each reply is informative and relates to the questions posed. This thread is about DACs, which are a form of Digital Technology. Many of us use Digital Technology, whatever the reason, this is the decision we have made and I ask that those users that would like to challenge this or attempt to educate us in their chosen methods do so elsewhere. PLEASE.

Personally I have a very modest system (NAD C320 + Maggies with upgraded XO) and I play all my music through my laptop. However I am sure that even a cheap DAC will be able to out perform my Laptop's sound card (even if it is just the isolation it achieves). I would love to get the DacMagic listed in the classifieds section however I am a student and don't have that amount of cash to drop. I have been looking at alternatives and see that the Music Streamer II has very positive reviews (it's big brother, the Music Streamer II+, albeit double the price, has in almost every review outperformed the DacMagic). The Music Steamer II available locally for R1 850.00 from wantitall.co.za (http://www.wantitall.co.za/PC-Hardware/HRT-Music-Streamer-II-High-Resolution-USB-D-A-Converter__B0038O4UFQ), and via Amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.com/HRT-Music-Streamer-II-Resolution/dp/B0038O4UFQ) for about R1 000.00! I think that they are still doing free shipping from the UK to SA so maybe that is an option.

I would like to know what users of this forum think of the products mentioned and whether you have any suggestions and/or personal experience with these or other (low cost) DACs.

Thanks to all in advance,

Chris