Do high end Blu Ray players still hold their ground with new gen TV's?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s1n0

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I need some advice on a Blu Ray player please:
I very recently took the 4k plunge with a LG 55" OLED 4k TV. After applying generic, fairly neutral, night viewing settings (found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKq6trQdPnM) I was very impressed with the image quality, even using a medium range Sony Blu Ray player. I'm now wondering if I can get it much better...

I'd say 65% of my movies are on standard DVD while 35% (newer) Blu Ray and currently 0% on 4k or high res 3D content. Although anticipate getting more Blu Ray and some 4k content in time. I currently don't have any SADC content but do have high res audio with sufficiently good DACs available to convert it.

As I will be using an external, secondary to main, sound system, I started to look at a good Blu Ray player with great image and good external sound capabilities, 3 kept coming up:
? Marantz UD7007 (HD)
? Oppo 105D (4k up-scaling)
? Cambridge Audio CXU (4k up-scaling)

The key selling points of the last two above was decent sound (tick) and image quality, particularly smooth up-scaling of HD to 4k...

Since one of the features of the new gen LG TVs is a built in 6 stage algorithm to facilitate HD to 4k up-scaling (although the feature can be disabled), it seems this primary feature is duplicated in both the TV and content player? Is one significantly better at doing this than the other (surely you wouldn't use both)? Is the price to image vs performance of a high end blu ray player as above still justified with a newer range of TV algorithms that can handle up scaling internally?

Some practical advice from anyone who has hands-on experience with both the LG 960 and 105D/CXU or similar would be greatly appreciated. If the issue has been previously addressed, I do apologise, please send me a link.