DTS vs Dolby Digital centre volume

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alkit

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got the Polk Rti-A speaker series - RTi-A5 fronts, Csi-A6 centre, Rti-A1 rears.

I've always noticed that I needed to yank up my centre channel around 4db (at least), to be able to hear the dialogue clearly. (This is AFTER doing a level calibration).

So I thought that my room probably has issues with it and just learnt to deal with it.

However, the other day, I watched 2 movies with CRISP, CLEAR dialogue, without having to raise the centre volume at all. So I took a closer look and noticed that both movies had DOLBY DIGITAL soundtracks (btw, all my movies are in mkv format, and most have DTS soundtracks).

The 3rd movie I watched after those was in DTS, and I landed up pushing centre volume to +7db.

Could there be a problem with the way my Onkyo TX-NR708 is decoding DTS streams? Is there some option that I am missing?
Lastly, maybe the best way to test is with some DTS and Dolby Digital pink noise (with a SPL meter)? Is there anywhere to download those kind of tracks?

Thanks in advance for the help!