Gallo or Virgin Records SA - Did anyone work for them (or know someone who did)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying locating anybody that may have worked at Gallo Records (or Virgin Records SA) during the late 70's

I am hoping to find out some background information on some records released during the later 1970's

There were some Sex Pistols 7" records released in S.Africa in 1977 on Virgin Records- its seems odd that a band associated with 'anarchy' would be allowed to release records in the political climate that was S.Africa in 1977, but released they were. Gallo Records also released a 7" single at the same time in Zimbabwe in 1977

I have photos below

The 7" singles released in S.Africa were God Save The Queen and Pretty Vacant on Virgin Records, and only God Save The Queen was released in Zimbabwe on Gallo Records - I am assuming there is a link between Virgin Records and Gallo Record as these releases both share the PD1471 cat number

I'm trying to find out more information about these releases - the 2 S.African releases are dated 26-9-77 (which is way after they were released in the UK and elsewhere)

The only explanation one person gave me was that they may have been produced as radio station promos, but that was a bit of a guess

If you do know anyone that worked at these record companies please contact me ([email protected]) - it may just be someone who can lead me to another person who may help me.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Mark

SEX_PISTOLS_GSTQ_South_Africa_A_label.jpgSEX_PISTOLS_GSTQ_South_Africa_front_ps.jpgSEX_PISTOLS_Pretty_Vacant_A_label.jpgSEX_PISTOLS_GSTQ_A_label.jpg