HDMI Matrix/Extender over CAT 5e/6 for my House

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ushir

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, when we built our house, we provided for CAT 5e to every room to allow for HDMI distribution. We have 11 points in the house and are only distributing one source (DSTV). The installers used a 1x4 HDMI splitter and 3 1x4 HDMI Extenders from Space TV to distribute the HDMI signal to the 11 points.

Unfortunately, 2 of the HDMI extenders have burnt out and the 3rd is on its last legs as only 3 of the 4 outputs are working. I was now thinking of changing the entire system instead of just buying replacements from SpaceTV.

Ideally, I wanted to allow for 2 sources so if I do DSTV Xtraview with 2 decoders, I can distribute 2 HDMI sources. I still need to send the signal over CAT5e as all the cables are already in place. What are my options? I don't want to break the bank.

I was thinking of getting 2 2x8 Matrix Extenders and splitting each of the 2 sources with a splitter to the 2 extenders. I also came across a 16x16 matrix extender but this was seriously expensive. Anyone have any advice? I was told to stay away from Ellies products.

Basically, my requirement is I need to send 2 hdmi sources to 11 points over CAT5e and be able to change the channels in each room. I would say my budget is about R10k, max R15k.

Thanks!