Hidden speaker options for large room

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

striker

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some advice please. I have an entertainment area of 15 x 7.5, tiled and with little in the way of carpets, curtains etc. Seating position for movies, TV etc. is about 6m from front wall. The room is mostly used for music during braai's with the odd movie or show being watched.

I am currently running no-name 5.0 speakers  :cr@p: (2 floor standing, 2 bookshelves) of a Marantz sr5002 amp. My little one knocked over one of the floor standing speakers and it disintegrated (front came off, speaker made with  12mm mdf  :moron:  :BWAHAHAH:). Perfect excuse to upgrade, buy my better half informs me that the new speakers must be in the ceiling or wall mounted out of the way, with the exception of the sub.

Acoustically I will never be able to sort out the room. My wife will  :baseball: me if I try and put bass traps or acoustic panels up. This leaves me feeling it will be a waste getting "proper" speakers. Will something like the Wharfedale Diamond 9HCP http://www.audioshop.co.za/products-page/diamond/wharfedale-diamond-9hcp-blackwood/ with the addition of Diamond 9.1 for front's be OK if I wall mount them close to the ceiling or will there be boomyness to them? Any other recommendations for ceiling or small wall mounts in the R5k region? Help will be much appreciated!