Initial impressions Giyalet

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney_gold

R.I.P. 5 June 2018
Reaction score
It is very difficult to really make any meaningful comments at this early stage as there are a few issues I need to get sorted
The speakers are running in and the sound is getting better as one plays more music , especially the bass
Positioning and listening position is not optimised yet

But here goes...

You have to listen to this Devialet G1 combo with your eyes closed or in a totally dark room...you really do not want any distractions from the music.
You do not get grabbed immediately , the combo sucks you in gently , the more you listen , the more you are amazed.

You can read any review of the speakers and the amp to find out what they do well etc... but nothing can take you to the place that this can in real life .. you want to see nothing , but just turn up the wick and listen to reality... you turn it up more and more - its totally clean.. you realise you are playing at some serious levels , but there is way more to be had - you can just turn it up and up till your ears say NO

I have been playing music I thought I knew well , but the Giyalet combo lays it all bare in a way that is not analytical , but just musical.
You can hear every instrument clearly in a mix , no other speaker I have had reveals such micro detail.. the music sounds different to whatever I have heard , the sheer speed is amazing.. you never realised the music contained that amount of pace.. you can hear the texture of each instrument , the small sounds you never heard before -but the most amazing thing is that you do not listen to this .. the music just gels and albeit there are all these hifi things going on , your brain integrates them to a whole that is far more than the sum of its parts.

Put it up to lifelike levels and sit back , close your eyes and let yourself get transported to some magical place where the speakers disappear and the music just washes over you... listen to ella croon in your room , or let the thunderous bass and digital effects of Yello stun you... you just do not want to open your eyes and see whats really there - track after track , you sit enthralled ..it is very difficult to describe. You do not have to play pristine recordings , even the technically bad ones manage to convey musical intent and lets you concentrate on that rather than technical inaccuracies. There is NO colouration at all , no rose tinted glasses , but no lay it bare scalpel like presentation..

I have a few issues , mainly low bass has a few humps that need to be sorted out to get maximum slam and attack , and I need to revise my listening position in that my desk and monitor need to be gone , to realise the full scale of the music , this combo needs a dedicated listening seat with nothing to interfere..... the desk reduces the scale of the music and the 26" puter screen acts as a reflector or occluder depending on the angle

The office chair seat I have is a godsend , it enables you to get into a position where everything jumps into focus and you can suspend reality... the combo is worth every cent I spent on it and more...

This is just the new raw setup , I know I can improve things over the next week or so...