Let's build a monster sub

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwatts

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
While in the middle of other builds I unexpectedly had to get a very large sub going as part of R&D but that'll happily reside with me for personal use.

Due to the sheer size it will be a passive sub, but still with a dedicated, albeit externally located, amp & DSP.

The driver is a 21" OEM beast and Timber_MG kindly assisted to build the enclosure. Amplifier module is one of the biggest available, capable of 3800W RMS into 4Ohms sustained.

The electronics and integration are up to me. Took a record time of only a few evenings to design the two relevant PCBs, one is finished and the other still in production at the factory.

First up is the control board, nearly completed. This has nothing to do with audio but only power switching:

1719823218749.jpeg

230VAC power enters at the left and has a small standby 12V PSU running. If a variety of sources turns on the amp, the large relay bottom left will switch on power to the amplifier module.

Sources can be either stereo audio or HT LFE (all the audio stuff is on the other board) and one of the goals is to have entirely separate profiles for each source type.

The two respective 3.5mm sockets are 12V triggers, one for each mode so stereo will e.g. be driven from a preamp's trigger out and the other from an AVR's.

It also has signal autosense capability to turn on from a signal alone, with separate sensitivity trimpots (blue squares at the edge) to optimally adjust the threshold sensitivity of each source.

The four slide switches are to select whether each mode has to respond to trigger, autosense or a global override.

A fan controller with thermal feedback is also included a the right. Control plugs are at the bottom and a connector going to the front panel for basic status indication.

DSP board should arrive in about 3weeks and will be up next.