Listening room: Sound balance; advice from our cerebral forumites please...?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nico V

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
:sd: :Ooooooh: :facepalm:

Gents

Brain teaser:

My predicament:
Listening room about 5x5. Cluttered to reduce reverb & noise. Two systems) 1x big, 1x small.
Big: Marantz hi-end SACD player with iPod input. Rotel RC1090 with dual outputs, Rotel RMB1075 using 4 channels (120Watts each) to bi-amp a pair of Jamo D590's. QED Silver Anniversary speaker cable
Small: 2x Monitor Audio BX2, Nad 3020, Nad C546 CD Player, QED Sllver anniversary speaker cable.
Problem: The big system's sound balance is skewed to the left. Approx 65% to the left. Low freq sounds centre, but bass rarely has direction. The RC1090 has no facia/panel balance control so i can't knob it around. So I switched ALL equipment around from left to right and back again: components, connectors, interconnects, cables, speakers. You know, like installing from new - but 3 times. Then started playing spaghetti: changing interconnects and then cables, on a per component level, then two components, then 3 components, also taking turns to mix them up. Brought in another source. There was nothing else I could swop around or add or take away. Problem persists. Sound field also non-existent. Just two stand-alone speakers in a room.
Room: I mixed up the clutter from left to right and back again, then scattered, then took it all out. Problem I moved furtniture and even changed the entire setup 270 degrees to another wall. Problem persists.
Small system: DEAD CENTRE. Not even a hint of off-balance sound. Sound field sounds like a wall with voices etc. dead centre in front of me. Small speakers and big speakers in close proximity to each other due to room size, but I always move the one pair out of the way when listening to the other.

I have been to some "experts" who could not advise.

Can any of you clever brainiacs please help?

Thx!
N