marantz & jamo not sounding good :-(

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ritz_sa

Reaction score
Ok - so I finally went for the Dionwired deal.....Marantz SR5006 and Jamo S506 set (it's a 5.0 set). Set it up this weekend and something definitely is not right! I could not complete the Audessy setup cos I don't have a Sub (wasn't planning on getting one soon)...so I was forced to skip that. I then entered the speaker distances manually.

The volume seems quite low and only starts to get audible around -45db and needs to be played at -10db for a decent movie listening level. I'm playing Blu-rays via PS3 (fat one with sound output set to PCM) and connected via HDMI. Even when loud, the dialogue isn't as crystal clear as some cheap systems and the bass response is quite bad from the floorstanders....they seems to be muddled and pop a bit when given any decent volume (with music or movies from blu ray or DSTV hd pvr).

I've tried experimenting with different settings for the floorstanders (set them as SMALL, then LARGE) then played with the crossover frequency cos I thought they were just not handling the low frequencies well. I am lost as to what's wrong ;
  • could be the amp settings?
  • could be the speakers?
  • could be that the speakers are not broken in yet?
  • could be that the Audessy setup was not done?

I've had systems about 1/8 the size of these floorstanders in the past that sounded waaaay better!  :walled:

Anyone have this combo and can comment or help please? :help: