Monitor Audio or Paradigm or B&W

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicholas636

Reaction score
Hello
I have a Yamaha RX-V 467 and a Yamaha YST-SW012. I bought an old set of second hand Tannoy MX 2 speakers so I wouldn?t simply be looking at 2 beautiful black boxes in my lounge. The time is now coming to upgrade my ?sound stage?. The gents at our local sound emporium will basically only recommend paradigm, and blatantly tell me that I am an idiot to consider anything else. They are nice, but I find them very crisp, perhaps too crisp, almost to the point where I think they sound slightly artificial. I was listening to the Paradigm Mini Monitor. Following this, I have read a lot about the Monitor Audio BX2, the reviews sound very impressive, but the price seems ominously cheap. I?d love to listen to a set, but I am struggling to find a set in East London.
I?d like to hear from someone who has a set of BX2?s, do you find that the MA?s have a nice balance of crisp clarity and solid body? If you have heard both the Paradigm Mini Monitors and the MA BX2?s, do you think the paradigms are worth the extra money? And lastly, just to add a third dilemma, do you think it would be worth it to save up some more and go for something like the B&W 685, which is quite a bit more than either of the others.
I know everyone is going to say the only way to know is to go and listen to all the speakers, but it would be nice to hear what people have to say.

Thanks.