Replacement amp for home theatre system

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViperGTI

Reaction score
About 10 years or so ago, I bought this Sony Mgongo 7.2 Home Theatre system: https://www.loot.co.za/product/sony...elincludes-sony-bdps490-player/zmdh-2766-g320.
It consists of an amplifier, 7 speakers and 2 passive subs of which the amp is now finished and cannot be repaired due to the parts being discontinued.

So last week, I bought a replacement amp (Pioneer VSX-935 7.2) and couldn't get the subs to work on it. I only later discovered that this amp (and all other new modern amps that I looked at), only supports a "pre out" for sub woofers which apparently means, that the subs need to be powered.

Now active subs seem to be quite expensive and I already have 2 perfectly working passive sub woofers. Isn't there a neat and cheap way to get those connected and working somehow? I'm thinking maybe something like a "passthrough amp" that takes two line inputs and provides two powered outputs. I'm sure something like that should exist, but I have no idea what to search for or where to search for it.

Any suggestions or advice?

Latest posts