Replacement valves for Ref110

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sound Nut

Reaction score
I am new to the world of valves and would like some advice on replacing the valves of my Audio Research Ref 110.  One of the channels plays softer than the other and the hour meter reads just over 2 000 hours so I assume that it's time to replace the valves.

The current valves have written on them "6550C Made in Russia 1043" but no manufacturer's name.  I have 8 new Electro Harmonix 6550 EH which I got with the amp and wonder whether these will do well or whether it is worth the expense to rather buy 8 new KT120 valves.

I aslo see that there are are stickers on the boxes of the valves from Upscale Audio in the USA with values for bias, transconductance and G2 mA. 

I would also like to know whether I have to replace the input valves at this point as well.

Lastly, is there anyone in the Johannesburg area who could assist me with bias settings etc.? The only ARC dealers I am aware of are in Cape Town.