SABC TV licences want "registered email"!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Daughter left to go live in the UK in June 2004.  She sent them a letter advising that the TV was unworking and a letter (a repair quote stating that it was uneconomic to repair) from the repair shop confirming this.  This was not good enough for the SABC and they wanted proof that she had left SA (stamp in passport), proof of address in the UK.  This was sent in August 2004.

Renewal reminders kept coming and each time I called SABC TV licences.  Yes, they had the correspondence but I must get an affidavit from the repair shop confirming that the TV set was not working.  I went to the shop in January 2006 to find it closed and someone else now had a shoe shop there.  Called SABC to advise them of this, they insisted on proof.  But I said, if the shop has disappeared, how can I get your proof.  That is our requirement they said.  It is based on an impossibility and therefore cannot be fulfilled. If it gets to court and I state this fact, the case will be dismissed.  Not interested

So every year since 2005, renewals have arrived, following by letters from some Pretoria collecting agency

A particularly nasty letter arrived yesterday, threatening blacklisting, summons, inability to open bank accounts, inability to get credit, on and on.  In 9 years, the amount has escalated to over R 5700,00

So called SABC again and started from scratch.  Was told matter is so old they cannot trace any correspondence or documents, but please will I send everything again.  I asked whether it could be sent by email and the lady said, yes, but you must register it.  I stated that what she had said sounded ridiculous and was given a big lecture about not choosing what I would do and not do and to change my attitude, and speak politely to people