Sacrilege or what the hell...?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Now Playing

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Want to get some input from people here regarding making some modifications to a pair of Quad 11L's i use as rear speakers in my 5.1 setup.  They're presently on stands behind the couches and from a HT perspective serve their purpose well.  My wife would prefer that I mount them on the wall and to that end I purchased a pair of wallmount units this morning.  Of course, as luck would have it, the wallmount units don't get a great grip on the speakers because the 11L's have a base attached to the underside of the speaker cabinet that is smaller than the girth of the speaker body (as can be seen in the pic).  The only way the 11L's fit into the wallmount units is for the brackets to be aligned against the base at the bottom of the speakers.  This means that the depth of grip of the wallmount units on the speakers is reduced to around 10mm - being the depth of the base I'm referring to.  I would hate for the speaker to work its way loose and fall from just under ceiling height as the result would at best be a destroyed speaker, and at worst, serious injury or even death if someone were unfortunate enough to be standing below the speaker.

The back bracket of the wallmount units have two  ~4mm threaded rods that can be tightened against the speaker body to improve grip.  I'm considering drilling holes into the base of the 11L's so that these rods can penetrate the base of the speakers, effectively anchoring them in place on the bracket.  I'm guessing two holes in the base of each speaker isn't going to change their characteristics one iota, however, appreciate that it would impair their value.

So my question is would you do what I'm contemplating?

Attachments

• 11L_RW_600.jpg
    11L_RW_600.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 203