Samsung Plex

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolby

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm looking for something to stream to my LCD in the next room - preferably a HTPC or a ready built HTPC like the Xtreamer Ultra to run Plex.

Someone pointed me to the Samsung BD5500 which can run Plex and under R2,000 ... so it seems to fit what I need quite nicely. I have read reviews, but hoping an owner could help with a few questions?

- I spent a fortune on a Samsung TV with Internet TV, media/network functions about 2.5 years back - only discover that Internet TV couldn't even be used locally. Apart from the IQ which I still love, it was a waste of R25k. Does the BD550 have access to everything locally?

- I love pretty GUIs, smooth transitions and high resolution, quick menus. How fast and efficient is the BD5500 menu system in Plex? I'm not an Apple lover as such - but as smooth as Plex on the iPad?

- Would there be anything missing from the Samsung Plex as opposed to getting a HTPC and downloading? Same version numbers and features on both?

I'd be connecting a 1mbps line to it via ethernet - no wifi. Although this is fine with Youtube (no buffering most the time) on the PC ... someone said it's slower through Samsung and he needs to buffer on his 4mb line. Is it 4mb maybe slow?

Thanks in advance!