SONY TC788-4

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allan320

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I recently acquired the above machine on the forum and, in the words of marcohchezzi, I joined the Madness Club.
It came with three 10.5” reels, two of which were half full of unevenly wound tape of unknown vintage.
It worked in FF and RW but I didn’t have the courage to load any tape at first. PLAY brought no response from the solenoids controlling the pinch rollers and the whole mechanism was seized by solidified goo and crud.
With Marco’s encouragement I carefully dismantled one side of the pinch roller bed and cleaned/lubed all the pivots. After that was reassembled I did the other side. How is it that e-clips can just vanish into thin air as soon as they are released from their labours? I ordered an assortment from TEMU, holding thumbs for a result there.
Now there was free movement and after reconnecting the solenoid arms, voila, a satisfying clunk and the pinch rollers found their capstans.
Next step is to load some tape and have a listen. Please, I need help in sourcing more tape and also splicing tape.
Even if she has reached retirement age I still feel that there’s a place for her as a decor item, every music room should have a R2R on display with as many VU meters as possible!

Attachments

• IMG_5191.jpeg
    IMG_5191.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5188.jpeg
    IMG_5188.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5189.jpeg
    IMG_5189.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5187.jpeg
    IMG_5187.jpeg