Speaker upgrade

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelom1

Reaction score
Hi

Here is my situation, I recently traded my old HK AVR15 receiver and Wharfedale Atlantic 5.0 series speakers for an Sony STR-DE698 receiver + 7.1 speaker set (ssmf-650h towers + 4 surrounds = sa-wm500 active sub).

I found the towers very poor in comparison to the Wharfedales. I opened them up and found that there was no crossovers in them. The two woofers is connected parallel (+ to + and - to -) and also the midrange connected parallel to the one woofer and only a capacitor connected to the midrange and tweeter.

The enclosure (box) says that the impedance is 8ohms. Would the two woofers thus be 4 ohms each to make it 8ohms if it is connected parallel to each other?

I have a set of JBL bookshelfs (TLX110's of wich the woofers is blown) and would like to use the crossovers in the sonys.

Would the crossovers be capable and how do I then connect the sony's woofers to them? Do I just connect the two woofers in the sonys as is to the current wires for the JBL woofers? Also, I assume that I can then also just connect the sony's tweeter to the wire ofr tweeter on the crossover. How do I connect the sony's midrange speaker, do I leave it in parrallel (as is) with the woofers and leave the capacitor on it? Should I take the current capacitor on the sony's tweeter off and connect it straight to the wire for tweeter on the crossover.

Would the transplant of the crossover improve the sound of the sonys?

Any help will be highly appreciated. Oh, I got rid of the Sony receiver as well and is now using the speakers on a Yamaha RX-V365 receiver.

:thinking: