The first what?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doge

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Some of us may have heard the phrase "It's only the first watt that matters." So, out of curiosity I decided to play with my amp, a reference sine wave and a multimeter to see how much power I was actually using.

I have a Rotel amp with a digital volume control and seldom take the volume above 55, sure as bob, it turns out that's less than 1 watt. Where did I find the 2.83V mark? At a volume of 58, which might be just about enough to unintentionally invite some of the neighbours around in the evenings.

My amp is rated at 60W into 8ohms which I discovered at a volume level of 75 (~22V), this volume is well into the "bass against your chest" region from meagre, stand-mounted B&W CM5s and it plays clean. Which makes me ask again; why do people insist that B&Ws need loads of power?

Does anyone else know the reference voltage of their favourite listening volume? Might be a bit of an ear-opener :thinking: